Tomorrow I fly to Berlin for a bloggers conference, THE HIVE . The organiser of the event suggested we post 40 facts about ourselves so that we can get to know each other. I was reluctant to do this as I thought I have nothing really interesting to say about myself. Then today I realised it's just for fun and it's a little snippet about myself so that others get a little window into who I am. So, here it is:
1) I came to London from South Africa when I was 19.
2) I planned to stay in London only for 1 year. 20 years later, it is where I call home.
3) I grew up as an only child until I was 13, then my father remarried.
4) I planned to have only 1 child, then thought he would be lonely. Now I have 4 children.
5) After each child I gave every single baby thing away, thinking I would have no more....Only to have to buy EVERYTHING again and again and again.
6) I can not pass up a viable business opportunity. I was brought up to chase that pot of gold. I am working on resisting the temptation.
7) I am trying to embrace doing things for enjoyment and not to make a living out of every idea.
8) My husband tries to be the voice of reason in each of my business ventures, but I am a very convincing sales person.
9) Each time I start a new business, I need it to be better than its competitors. I spend time researching the market. Perhaps the enjoyment for me is in the challenge of setting up and running a successful business.
10) I have had a lingerie business, I have had an online wooden toy company , I have run a subscription art club for children, amongst other things.
11) My best ideas happen in the shower. Perhaps because its the only place where I can hear myself think.
12) I genuinely feel you need to be passionate about what you do because then you will do it best.
13) I often run on gut feeling and passion, later followed by logic and planning.
14) I am impulsive and once I have a viable idea, I need to implement it immediately.
15) I am impatient.
16) My greatest passion is children's learning. I believe in allowing children to blossom and be free to express themselves. I believe in experimentation and creativity. I believe in allowing children to be individuals rather than forcing them to conform.
17) After establishing the lingerie business, I sold it on because I did not enjoy convincing others of what looks good on them. I am a decisive shopper myself.
18) I ceased trading of children's toys as I had a baby and I was pregnant at the same time.... I simply could not manage. The best thing about this business is that it gave me insight into the best toy manufacturers and how to equip my nursery to an extremely high standard. I prefer natural open-ended toys rather than loads of plastic (Lego being an exception to this rule).
19) I suspended the children's art subscription because it took me away from doing art with my own children. It was very successful and customers were disappointed, but I hope to continue to offer this through by blog and perhaps in the future I would like to get back to this wonderful idea.
20) I still run a children's nursery school. My greatest passion.
21) I would have loved to be a 'maker' as my career. My father was a textile technician by trade.
22) My father, being German, preferred for me to do something more practical. Something that provided a more consistent income. It took years of trial and error to find my 'thing'.
23) I am a teacher. I have studied Montessori Education, I have studied for a BA in Early Childhood Education, and I have trained as a Forest School Leader. When I choose to do something, I need to know everything about it. Different view points make for a fuller picture.
24) Two of my children go to school. I home educate one, and the other is a toddler.
25) When I arrived from South Africa, I lived for summer. Now I prefer Autumn. Spring is lovely too. I do not like winter. I feel the cold hurts my skin.
26) I am fussy about food. Taste is EVERYTHING!
27 ) Instead of trying to turn every single thing into a business for myself, I now run workshops helping others improve or establish their businesses. It's great. I get to brain storm and problem solve business ideas and practice.
28) I LOVE wool. The colours, textures, hues. The way it knits up. The way the colours and patterns unfold like a story. I guess it runs in my blood. I remember playing with cones of wool in my father's knitwear factory when I was a child. The smell of wool takes me back to my childhood.
29) I want to make everything!!!!!!
30) My blog started without much planning. I am still finding my 'place'.
31) I have a tattoo and would love to get more.
32) I believe EVERYTHING happens for a reason. If you are paying attention you will see how all the pieces fit into the puzzle.
33) I get bored easily. My brain needs to be busy all the time. My hands need to be busy all the time too. (Preferably on different things).
34) I am planting a kitchen garden with a PLAN this year. I have planted kitchen gardens for 6 years now. I wonder whether I will stick to the plan.
35) This year I am planting a 'cut flower garden'.
36) I am also planting a dye garden. ( so that I can dye wool for personal use)
37) I gave up Diet Coke last year. It was like a drug for me.
38) I do not drink tea or coffee, I do not like the taste. I do love the smell of Earl Grey Tea and have a box of it in the cupboard just for the fragrance.
39) I am in awe of the beauty in nature that we take for granted and often walk past without noticing. I am trying to stop and take a moment to see the beauty.
40) I believe in CARPE DIEM.